keskiviikko 19. syyskuuta 2012

Dealing with Starcraft anxiety

One of the hardest things for me at least, is to cope with the overwhelming frustration caused by sc2. I'm not saying I hate the game. I'm saying I hate myself for not being able to grasp it as quickly as I usually do with new things. If you know what I'm saying ;p

Somehow I have managed to not destroy things anymore. The most important anger management technique I utilized was the analysis of the source of all the frustration. I found out that I became furious due to the inability to reach my goals. Goals which were sometimes way too difficult to reach (beating a guy few leagues above) and sometimes the likelihood of being able to reach was affected by random factors (ladder opponents). That was when the goal was to win the game. Now that, is the worst goal ever.

Good goals should be easy to reach. Good goals should make you a better gamer. Good goals should make your macro better. Good goals should make your micro better. Being a better gamer game by game should be the goal.

However, even after having realized this it somehow gets frustrating when you feel like there is no progress. The tools to measure progress, such as sc2gears MMR plugin or you ladder placement, are based on the amount of wins. So, how is one able to measure progress? Day[9] introduced benchmarking. That seems to be the golden solution. But one is left with a question, what should you benchmark?

Can this be solved by cutting the problem into pieces? Lets try ^-^

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti